When it comes to breakfast on busy days, I need something that takes no time but is still very nutritious. And yummy, of course!. Lately, I’ve started my mornings with a smoothie more days than not – this smoothie, to be precise. I sometimes find that while a green smoothie is healthy and tasty at the same time (if it’s done well), I don’t always fancy something green first thing in the morning. It’s sounds crazy, I know, but it’s just the way my mind works.
While it’s important to eat your greens, berries have a lot to offer, too. Blueberries, in particular, are chock-full of antioxidants, which protect your body from free radicals that can damage your cells. Wild blueberries are said to be even higher in antioxidants. Also, they’re generally high in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, and Manganese. Blueberries have been shown to aid memory function and may help lower the risk of cardiovascular diseases. Need I list more reasons to try this blueberry smoothie? Well, maybe one more: it’s simply delicious!
It’s also a very basic recipe with few ingredients. I use dates to add extra sweetness, and for me, it’s just sweet enough. Feel free to add the extra date or two, if that’s how you roll. For a variation, you can also add a tablespoon or two of rolled oats. They help keep you feeling full longer and add extra nutrition. It will taste a bit more ‘grainy’, however, which is why I mostly don’t include them.
makes 2 300 ml servings
- 2 cups oat milk (or the plant-based milk of your choice – just note that oat milk is rather sweet, so choosing a less sweet milk might mean you need to add extra sweetness)
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds (or chia seeds)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (or almond butter)
- 1 1/4 cups blueberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 2 smallish dried dates (or 1 Medjool date)
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon oats (optional, see note above)
- Put all the ingredients in your high-speed blender (be nice to your blender: add liquids first, then dry ingredients and lastly, the frozen ingredients).
- Blend on high until creamy. This takes about 30 seconds with a Vitamix. Enjoy!